Tips for Making Dinner with Kids Special
- Turn off the TV.
- No texting or cell phone usage during the meal.
- On nights where dinner just won’t work, have a snack together before bed. If it never works, find a different special time to connect regularly without fail with your children. It’s good for you both to be able to count on that connection.
- Use this time to teach your children skills such as communication and respect.
- Focus on positive conversation. No nagging or complaining. (from either parents or kids)
- Everyone should play a role. It’s about contributing to the family meal. Folding napkins, setting the table, fixing drinks, and helping with clean-up are all ways even small children can contribute.
- Plan meals together as a family, but no multiple meals. Everyone should eat the same thing. It’s part of the bonding process.
- Drink water. It’s a smart habit for everyone to have.
- Put pets away if they disturb the meal. There’s not much Spot can add to this activity.